Arctic paddle making

It has been a long while since I was this far north last time. Actually, It must have been early August 2011 when I came by kayak on my way south:


Tromsø is for me a magical place. Located around the 69. degree of latitude. The city has the unofficial status of capitol of Northern Norway. Maybe even Northern Scandinavia... The surroundings are sure spectacular: Tall steep snow covered mountains, magnificent sea with whales and eagles, and of course the northern lights..


My first long stay was exactly 20 ears ago, January 1998. Back then I did one of my my very first kayak building classes away from home. I remember that stay as one week's party. With great, resourceful, goodhearted and very accommodating people. This stay was no exception, even though we didn't have many days now. And the Northern lights and the whales were absent.


We had a really good time building paddles for two days. It must have been one of my biggest classes ever, due to massive interest. Through two long working days, 28 people made each their own Greenland style of Aleut paddle. I sure hope to come back soon and paddle with the great people of the "Storm" paddle society.




Popular Posts